Having a call plan in place is critical for successfully managing Key Accounts. Lack of preparation results in a failure to maximize the most of the opportunity presented by a key account, not to mention your time.
There is nothing worse than attending a meeting and showing up unprepared. Here are key questions that you need answers to prior to meetings with key accounts.
Key Account Questions
- Has your internal team / company prepared you an “executive briefing” for managing key accounts?
- Did you receive the briefing with enough time to read through it and ask questions?
- Are you planning any preview meetings with the internal team to ask questions?
Too often sales show up at the meeting with no agenda, no questions and no value. There is a direct correlation between the amount of time invest in preparation and the opportunity value provided by key Account’s. If you are uncertain of the value the key account provides, determine how your could achieve sales target if you lost just one.
Make sure an account plan is updated and included as part of a briefing package. Confirm that both internal and external activity are included. As an example, has the Key Account recently been in the media or undertaken public relations activities? Has your client changed role? Whatever it is, you need to know and be prepared. It is your internal team’s job to help prepare you.
You have 3 goals when managing Key Accounts:
- Maintain your competitive advantage
- Continue to provide the level of service that creates long term customer loyalty
- Grow the Key Account profitable
Do you have 3 top objectives in managing Key Accounts? If you any, establish primary objectives. Here’s some examples of what the key account typically look for in a strategic partner:
- Preference orientated products & services
- Collaboration & co-dependence
- Sustained value
- Effective supplier relationship management
- Security of product supply
- Price, rebates, adherence to opt-in contract terms
- Global capabilities
- Ease of doing business with
- Access to the best and brightest resources on your team
ProAptivity work with clients in implementing sales and account management best practice. If you require assistance with managing key accounts, contact us today on 028 9099 6388 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Sales Benchmark Index