Text messaging has quickly become one of the most widely used forms of personal communication. Its use in the sales process has been questioned and is not commonly practiced. The study reveals the positive and negative impact text messaging can have in the sales process. It is important to understand when text messaging can actually hurt sales efforts and when it can help turn more prospects into sales.
Most organisations today use phone calls and emails when communicating with prospective customers. The question is whether texting can be an effective form of communication between sales people and prospective buyers.
Recent research found that text messages make a difference in closing deals. Relative to email messages, text messages typically have a higher open and response rate, and therefore an effective way to supplement email and phone communication channels. The research also suggests that texting should be used with caution, as they have the potential to be interpreted as intrusive.
Key research findings:
- Prospects that are sent text messages convert at a rate of 40% higher than those who are not sent text messages.
- Sending text messages to a prospect prior to making contact on the phone decreased the likelihood of ever contacting the lead by 39%
- Prospects send text messages after initial contact had been made enjoyed the highest conversion ratio
- The content, timing and number of text should be dictated by actions taken by a prospect and by the prospects status in the sales process
- Text messaging is best used when there is something timely and important that can be said in a few words:
- Follow-up on a commitment made
- Reminder of appointment
- Acknowledgement of receipt or approval of document
- Request for missing information
- Sending 3 or more purposeful text messages after contact has been made with a prospect can increase conversion rates by 328%
- It is recommended that all businesses implement a text message programme take a permission based approach and offer the ability to opt out
The easiest way to implement text messaging in your sales process is to have an automated system that does it for you. That way you don’t have to rely on staff to keep track of all leads and the type of contact method to use next with each at the appropriate time
Speak with ProAptivity, ProAptivity specialize in the implementation of Maximizer CRM. ProAptivity can assist organisation to use text messaging for better sales Conversion. Contact us today on 028 9073 5630 for your free consultation to understand how CRM can benefit your business.